A New DIY Project | Part 2

10349093_746982982032701_7276206299043275837_n

Today, I went over to my nana’s and had some fun! It’s kind of sweet to have my sister Blondie come by when she gets off work in the afternoon. She takes over the talking for me and goes on for at least an hour. Which is great for me because then I can relax and drink my pop while she talks to our grandparents. My nana made chocolate cake, so we each had a slice after a few minutes of getting there. My mom was only supposed to go to a few places and then hopefully I’d go home and eat something to eat. The only thing I had to eat was cake but I’m not complaining though. She had me distracted between the conversations and our project we got back into this afternoon. So it’s been a couple of weeks since the first post of this, my nana and I just actually finished with this today! I realized the picture I used for the first installment was actually the original “outline” of how I wanted everything to go. This first picture is how it looked like before we added anything or fixed the ones that were not glued on to the plastic board enough. To catch you up from the first post, my nana has an obsession with anything related to the beach and lighthouses. Everybody in our family knows about it and she gets a lot of different gifts related to them. She’s gotten sand from both Mississippi and California I think from my uncle and aunt who travel to both places a lot. A number of stuff that we actually used for this, she’s had for years and we’ve basically repurposed them. This is what we used for this project:

Clear plastic board
Hot glue gun
Medium and small sizes of seashells
Blue and pink marble like pebbles

10419473_746993568698309_4966687037554513677_n

My nana had told me like a day after we worked on it the first time that some of the shells were slowly coming undone from the glue and board. So that was our first thing we did was fix the ones who were sliding off their places. It wasn’t a lot, only like five of them. I kind of figured it would be the bigger ones falling off, but only one was and it was the little shells that didn’t quite get enough of glue the first time. Thankfully this time, neither of us got burnt, but I did get caught in the “cobwebs” as I like to call them because if you’ve ever used a hot glue gun, as you place the melted glue on some place and pull away, it creates this little thin strip of glue and hangs around everywhere. If they get intertwined with each other than it looks like a small cobweb but thankfully there’s no spider nearby! ┬áThis second picture is of our new part we did. This was actually pretty easy to do, I think the only reason why we were having so much difficultly last time is because we hadn’t done anything big like this since the pumpkins and that was in last October. You can tell that we were getting used to it┬ábecause I wasn’t afraid to pick up the board when my nana and I were putting blue towels over the boxes so we could get better pictures of our work. After re-glued the shells, we moved on to adding the little pebbles and I wanted to make myself an “outline” to make sure everything doesn’t look too messy. So we did certain ones first and last to help control my perfectionist side. To make sure we didn’t get burned for this part, my nana unhooked the glue gun from the wall and did each one individually and I just basically dropped each one in place.

We waited a few minutes before switching sides and working on second side. This time it wasn’t as bad and I was actually enjoying it. Once that side was finished too, we let it all sit out for a minute or two before she moved it back into her office. I shared in the last post that this board will join the other beach items in her bathroom. We did find ways to use the other smaller shells that I was too afraid to use because of the fact that none of them were solid surface and probably stay in their place plus getting glue on there and then picking it up, we would get burnt a lot easier that way! So she had two small vases that several of shells came out of and she put those back in there along with the cut up fake flowers she had and were going to use in the original design I had figured out. It’s actually very to have these tan/white seashells and colors of blue and pink flowers and green leaves inside. We had to shake it up a little bit to make sure the leaves and blue flowers were going through the sides and not just stay up at the top. We did have enough pebbles left for the candle holder they came out of so that’s not so dull without them, but I’m pretty sure they’ll be placed together. We were going to also use a small amount of sand on the board but since we didn’t I suggested we put it in the other flower vase. Since the flowers are fake, they don’t need water and I thought it would neat to store the sand in there.

Here is the finish project. I hope you have enjoyed your day!

10532549_747002042030795_3280628457605232240_n

And as an added bonus to this post, here is a picture of one of our kittens. Little Kells, or “Kelso” as my mom and I like to call him. My dad likes to call him “Bear Bear” the other day he actually brought him in my room because as he said, when he opened the door to the back porch he walked right in. I think dad just saw him out by the window and grabbed him and brought him inside to show mom and I. ChiChi did pretty good with him on my bed with her. She did shake the shit out of one side of my mom because he was too close to her. Such a damn drama queen she is! Okay I’m definitely finished now!

10432151_306753089501359_7675812043375272775_n